But what if you could just do a "postback" for the desired field only, leaving the rest of the page unchanged? And what if you could have the server automatically update the client without the client initiating the event?
Ajax isn't a technology. It's really several technologies, each flourishing in its own right, coming together in powerful new ways. Ajax incorporates:
- standards-based presentation using XHTML and CSS;
- dynamic display and interaction using the Document Object Model;
- data interchange and manipulation using XML and XSLT;
- asynchronous data retrieval using XMLHttpRequest;
Check out these sites for more detail:
- http://ajax.schwarz-interactive.de/csharpsample/default.aspx - download relevant source code
- http://www.ajaxmatters.com/ - other Ajax links.
This looks like it has a ton of potential, and I'm looking forward to checking it out and doing a future blog post on a sample.